Hello! I didn’t read enough short stories in 2017, but the ones I read I really enjoyed. Here are a selection of the stories that really stuck with me, since it is tradition for me to do this list in one way or another every year and I don’t feel comfortable doing my own 2017 eligibility post without actively recommending others as well.
- Seven Salt Tears by Kat Howard (Lightspeed)
- Twilight Travels with the Grape Paper Man by Sara Saab (The Dark)
- Monster Girls Don’t Cry by A. Merc Rustad (Uncanny Magazine)
- The Waduf by Naru Dames Sundar (Kaleidotrope)
- A Series of Steaks by Vina Jie-Min Prasad (Clarkesworld Magazine)
- Never Yawn Under A Banyan Tree by Nibedita Sen (Anathema)
- Merrick by Vajra Chandrasekera (Liminal Stories)
- The Cold Lonely Waters by Aimee Ogden (Shimmer)
- Every Black Tree by Natalia Theodoridou (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)/also check out The Nightingales in Plátres (Clarkesworld)
- Darkness, Our Mother by Eleanna Castroianni (Clarkesworld)
- These Constellations Will Be Yours by Elaine Cuyegkeng (Strange Horizons)
- A Marvelous Deal by Kate Dollarhyde (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)
- We Who Live In The Heart by Kelly Robson (Clarkesworld)
- Darner by Jonathan Laidlow (Strange Horizons)
A strong showing by the Singaporean Contingent this year!
- Black Tides of Heaven by J.Y. Yang (Tor.com) (actually personally I prefer Red Threads but I understand the author wants this to be the one so it can stand for the duology which was one of the highlights of my reading year).
- Water into Wine by Joyce Chng (Annorlunda Enterprises)
- A Portrait of the Desert in Personages of Power (Part I) (Part II) by Rose Lemberg (Beneath Ceaseless Skies)
- Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor (Tor.com)
- The Dragon With A Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis (unsure if novel or novella tbh)
- Raven Strategem by Yoon-Ha Lee
- Noumenon by Marina J. Lostetter